Wednesday, January 21, 2015

January 2015

It must be a while since I have written because it took me SEVERAL minutes to figure out how to get here.

Something very exciting happened this week! Wait for it....I wore heels!!!  Well I don't know if it counts technically because they were tall boots (so they stayed on) but they had 2 in. heels not conservative short wedges. I got to the point that I felt somewhat confident that I wouldn't have a spectacular spill.  I was going out without kids and I could hold on to Pete if I needed. I was anything but graceful but I soooo enjoyed it!

This Aug I went wake boarding with no expectations. I surprised all of us by getting up on the second try. My friend Sara Paul videoed this and then sent it to my mom.
"Who would have thought Amanda would be doing this 1 year ago."
 A day on a boat is always magical!


Although in April my therapist gave me a referral to Dr. Ward I didn't make an appt. until October.  I finally googled him and found he is a plastic surgeon who specializes in facial paralysis doing research for his degree and continuing for University of Utah. I had preconceived notions about my "need" for Botox, therefore it took me several months to see him. As I understand it though, Botox was developed for situations like mine, so, willing to try anything...

I hated the injections and as Pete and I were leaving the office I was certain I would never do it again. The next several days the injections began to take effect and I quickly loved the result. The muscle under my right eye no longer squinted when I smiled; the dimples from paralysis on my chin were gone; my neck no longer strained on my right; the muscles around my smile and forehead on the left were softened making things look more symmetrical. I love it! The number of staring people has dramatically gone down. Not that I mind the questions but most people won't ask.

 MAY                                     AUGUST
 NOVEMBER
  I'm not perfect but more ready to like pictures of myself than I have been for a long time.







I continue to wear a patch (moisture chamber) because my eye dries out here. In Florida, Seattle and other humid climates I hardly use the patch.  I still put eyedrops in. I still walk a little off balance. (People on the cruise we took were concerned about my drinking habits- but I don't drink!) My Mom and Dad regularly take Christian so I can sleep. Pete gets the kids to school in the morning starting at 6 so I can sleep till 9. I have many people making things soooo much easier and cheering us on. Simply put, we are blessed.


3 comments:

  1. Amanda
    Hey – you are beautiful again!
    Maybe I should get some pointers from you. I no longer wear my Pirates Patch, but my eye still gets dry sometimes and I still have some paralysis on my right face, my hearing has not returned, my balance is like a 3 beer buzz (you would not know about that), and I have that same dimple on on my right chin. I am just getting to where I can sleep on my left side – did your nostril flop closed because of poor muscle tone? Maybe I should get some Botox injections – or better yet, a complete facelift.
    I am glad that you are doing so well.
    I really miss your entire family,
    David Mangum - 281-813-2707

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for Amanda! I was so happy when I checked to see you've updated your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for Amanda! I was so happy when I checked to see you've updated your site.

    ReplyDelete