Friday, June 28, 2013

Driving!

That's right. You heard correct. I said driving. I have started going to some places. Neighbors, church, dentist. My therapist said it wasn't as hard as it looks. I don't use balance and there is little body movement. As Pete said, I've done it thousands of times so don't be scared.  I am mostly concerned about my concentration, sight, and reaction time. Brain things. I keep it slow and only turn right or find a light so I don't dart into traffic. I take smaller streets that don't have a lot of traffic or speed. I have to have someone with me as a second pair of eyes and don't drive at night where it has a lot of glare. And I don't go too many places. I still get rides. :)It was a very big emotional thing. I had a bad week last week and part of it was feeling trapped and helpless. I couldn't run for milk, or a present or even down the street to pick a kid up. Now I can choose.

My face is slowly getting feeling on the right side. I can sort of half smile but I look cynical at best in pictures. I am doing better with eating out, a little bit less self conscious. Although Pete is good to subtlety tell me if I am wearing what I ate rather than eating it.  Some of my mouth is still numb so the dentist found a spot I had been biting and hopefully I can take care of it with super strength mouthwash.

I did stairs, curbs and grassy hills in PT but I failed at walking on the curb like a balance beam. Lets hope I don't get pulled over. I can throw a ball with my right hand in front of me instead of behind, if I concentrate really hard. I'll try overhand soon.  I wasn't so good at it last week. I was first base and PJ threw it to me a little low and to the left. I leaned in and ended up like a turtle on my back. I can "run" bases better than Memorial  Day, but I still can't run.

Toddlers don't look away so I ask them if they like the eye patch. They are too scared to answer. Adults wonder but they are too polite to ask. It is a little awkward at times.  I wish I had a shirt or pin to explain the problem so they would know. Friends ask, I just hope I don't talk  too much about it. I present like a stroke victim.

The summer is getting better because I am starting to plan things. it is far from normal but I don't think that is bad for the kids.



4 comments:

  1. Wahoo amazing lady! I will make you a shirt to go with charalece's vote for me for nursery pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing lady. I loved talking with you the other day, and so look forward to seeing you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something in the mail for you. Hopefully it will help with the awkward moments. ;)It should explain everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beep Beep - Here comes Amanda! You really are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete