Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Movin On Up


Amanda just got transferred out of the ICU. She's now in a private recovery room on the 14th floor (room 1424). The view is spectacular and the nurses indicate she is doing remarkably well for a patient who has had this procedure done. Things are looking good!


View from Amanda's recovery room

Amanda already recognizes that background noises seem much louder to her now and it makes a conversation more difficult to have. She's impressively resilient and optimistic, though, and I would bet on her adjusting well. She's one of the best roll-with-the-punches people I know.

The eye drops came and it's my job to plop them in Mandy's right eye every hour so the eye doesn't dry out. I think they're just trying to help me feel useful, but I'm glad to help where I can. I feel like Christian helping me around the house, "Just hold those screws and don't touch anything else." Probably for the best.

Amanda passed her breathing test with flying colors, so no pneumonia after surgery. The move upstairs plus two big swallows of cranberry juice and she is spent - so back to sleep for Mandy. We'll try chair sitting a little later after she has had a chance to rest from juice drinking.


3 comments:

  1. I love the Christian comparison. Hilarious!! Tell Manda she rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the updates coming! I am glad she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete, Ray, Kathy, and family

    Doris and I just got back from a week on a Caribbean cruise - it was great. I was excited to hear that Amanda has come through the surgery and is recovering nicely.

    It was emotional for me to read your description of what she is going through. It sounded as if you were describing my recovery from the same surgery one year ago this month.

    My message to Amanda is that she will soon be able to lead a relatively normal life. On this vacation, I did activities like dancing, zip-lining, and snorkeling. Since she is about 40 years younger than me, she will recover sooner. Likewise, my balance nerve was traumatized, so I had to use a walker for a while. I am using a cane but getting around nicely.

    Also, noises like the juicing blender and flushing toilets are very annoying to me – so I hold a finger in my good ear and that solves the problem. I still lose parts of normal conversations – so that continues to be a problem.

    The important thing is that Amanda has endured this opportunity and some small things in life will now appear to be much more beautiful than they were previously. And equally important, that horrible trigeminal pain will now subside.

    Tell Amanda that we love her and will continue to pray for her full recovery.

    FYI: Our Christian, Darin’s 18 year old son, was just called to serve in the Santiago, Chile mission.

    David Mangum, 10 Apr 2013

    ReplyDelete