Sunday, April 7, 2013

St. George


SUNDAY APRIL 7th

It has been a busy week! It is Spring Break for my kids and that has ended up being a tender mercy from Heavenly Father for many reasons. First part of the week was all about cleaning and laundry.  I'm not gonna lie - Mom did most the work.  Actually, some lovely friends (love you friends!) sent their cleaning ladies over for several hours to do all the things I have not done this month.  With a clean house I felt like a huge burden was lifted. My ceiling fans are clean again so I can lie in bed during recovery and not be reminded of the things that should be done. Can't tell you how much that has helped. :)
WEDNESDAY we had a n appt. with the neurosurgeon Dr. Reichman. His office is in the hospital complex that I will be having surgery.  I was doing great in the morning but started to crumble as i took the elevator up and began to feel that this changing from something theoretical that we talk about to something real that I will actually doing in a short time. I am sure Reichman could see my uneasiness because he sat with us for a long time answering questions and waiting till I said I was ready to go. He was very patient and kind. The quote from that visit came after Pete mentioned the tumor pressing against the brain stem. Dr. Reichman said, "It's not pushing against it, it's SMASHING it." Dr. Reichman also was great perspective to afterlife, so to speak. He had the same tumor, smaller size, when he was in med school. The same operation left him with no hearing. It doesn't really effect him unless it is so dark he can't see then he can get dizzy. He is still an excellent skier (he just got back from Alaska and some very steep terrain) and very active.

THURSDAY was a final visit to Dr. Shelton. I was still fragile at that point and red eyed. Again, Dr. Shelton was very comforting and patient. After the visit I went to see my dad where he gave me a blessing. It did give me comfort.

We had planned a trip to California for Spring Break but cut back due to circumstances.  St. George is 4 hours south and Matt, Pete's brother and Michelle, Pete's sister, were both going with their families and it is a Spring Break tradition so we wanted to go.We left Thur evening and it felt so good to be leaving town and some of our worries for a couple days. Pete and I both love road trips.

We hit the pool and parks. We did some rock exploring which everyone loved. Had someone else cook for us for dinner and enjoyed the family tradition of custard (like ice cream, but better!) It has been great to feel the sun.
The Crack.
 We went about 50meters between these walls of rocks as it took us from the bottom of the canyon to the top. Even Christian did it.



 'h


Christian's "H"





2 comments:

  1. I just want you to know I'm thinking about you. I pray all goes well and can feel peace (if that's possible with 6 kids) while you recuperate. But, I guess I have to tell you a funny story about Pete and the kids before I get off here. It was from a couple years ago. It was Enrichment night and you were getting everything ready. I was over the nursery and Pete had the kids. I think you all had 5 at this point. Pete had 2 in the double stroller and was trying to wrangle the rest and get them into the nursery. Kathy Fowels and I were so busy laughing, we didn't even think to help the poor guy. He was sweating and, to be honest, quite flustered. He said "I don't know how Amanda does this all day. It took me an hour just to load them all into the car." Oh man, it was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I will think of that when they roll me in. Thanks Jenny. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete